I have a new obsession. Saving money at the grocery store. Since we moved here, I have been good about looking up the ads online and planning our meals around what is on sale. But I have to tell you, it has just gone to a whole 'nutha level.
A few weeks ago, Chris and I were enjoying our exciting lives. Chris was studying and I was stalking facebook and blogs, when BAM! Extreme couponing came on TLC. Has anyone seem this?? Ok, so these people are crazy, but I have to say, I got really into it. Really into it.
So I started doing some research and I found this awesome site called couponmom.com. When I found it, I was thinking... I am not a couponer, nor a mom. Can I hang with this website? But I decided to take the plunge and signed up for a FREE membership. I get loads of spam anyway, could this really hurt?
It is the best thing ever. Let me tell you of the awesomeness of coupon mom....
Step 1:
Get your coupons out of you newspaper (don't clip yet!)
Step 2:
Record the date on the top of each coupon insert
Step 3:
Look up your local grocery store on couponmom.com
Step 4:
Clip the coupons it says (They combine the store sales with your coupons). It even tells you which coupon pack and what date the coupon was sent to you on.
Step 5:
Make your list
Step 6:
Take all your coupons to the store and watch your total decrease. A LOT.
Some of the rules we have learned during our trial run at the grocery store...
1. Don't buy things just because they are a good deal. You end up spending more.
2. Produce and meats don't generally have coupons, but still buy them. Your body needs them :)
3. Think of the meals you generally make when looking at coupon mom. Example: ritz crackers were on sale and we had a coupon. We are now making ritz cracker chicken (a favorite in the Dawson house)
Week 1 - We saved $38.55 BOOM!
Yes. Our life is looking more and more like my 80 year old Grandma Bea. Don't judge. She raised 4 boys on a bread delivery man's salary. She rocks and has taught me everything I know about saving money. Although I have just started listening :)
6 days ago
No comments:
Post a Comment